Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Christmas is coming and everyone wants cookies and treats. I love these simple cookies that taste so festive and bright looking. They taste like a hot spiced tea, which is my favorite holiday drink.
Top Review by NM Patricia
To die for. When combining the sugar and cinnamon, I rarely measure - I tend to like much more cinnamon than most. I tried these without the cinnamon and sugar on the outside and not quite great - good orange cookie. I chilled the dough before rolling them - I have found with cookies this makes it easier for me. I didn't use the glass to press-just my thunb. Soooo good.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (from zested orange)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat 1 cup sugar with the shortening, egg, vanilla and orange zest. Add the orange juice, flour, soda and salt and stir until well combined.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar with 3 tbs cinnamon. Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar and press onto prepared cookie sheets with a glass dipped in cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.