Orange Chocolate Ganache Cake
- Bake the Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. You will need two 8” round cake pans, line w/ parchment paper at the bottom, greased and coated w/ very fine bread crumbs.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a wide well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add in the following order, without mixing, the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. With a large wire whisk, beat until smooth. Mix in coffee. Set aside.
- Gently pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Cool completely.
- For the frosting: Chop the chocolate and melt with a double boiler. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat the butter until light yellow and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add the sugar. Dissolve the coffee in 2 t hot water. Add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture until blended. Do not whip! Spread immediately on cooled cake. Top with candied orange.