Recipe by Baby Kato
My family and friends always ask for this recipe, its quick, easy and they taste great, the down side, is that you won't be able to eat just one.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Fabulous treats, BK! They reminded me of another bar I used to make all the time that has the same texture with a different flavor profile (and loved, by the way). I was a little unsure about all the nuts in these, but once I tried them, I would definitely recommend not leaving them out. The hazelnuts were perfect with all the chocolate and orange. These were good while still a bit warm, but the chocolate backs off a bit and lets the orange stand out more once the bars are fully cooled or even slightly chilled. Definitely a keeper, and a good choice if you're looking for something a bit more sophisticated but not too fussy to make. Thanks for posting! Made for Sweet December Tag 2014
- 517.37 g boxed chocolate cake mix
- 44.37 ml hot cocoa mix
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml hazelnuts, roasted, coarsley chopped (may sub with macadamia or almonds)
- 396.89 g sweetened condensed milk, eagle brand
- 9.85-14.78 ml orange rind, finely grated
- 4.92 ml pure orange extract
- 226.79 g bittersweet chocolate chips
- 0.59 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine cake mix, hot chocolate mix, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Blend on medium speed for 2 - 3 minutes until crumbly.
- Add in the roasted hazelnuts and stir well.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of cake mixture.
- Press the remaining cake mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a small pan, combine the condensed milk, chocolate chips and salt, cooking over medium heat until the chocolate chips melt.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the pan from heat and add the orange extract and orange rind.
- Stir well and pour over the prepared crust and top with the reserved cake mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars and store at room temperature.