Recipe by Marz
This recipe is based on a recipe I slightly altered. It called for poppy seeds instead of the chocolate chips. I had already began making the recipe when I discovered my stash of poppy seeds had gone bad. So in an attempt to continue making the original recipe I subbed in mini-chocolate chips. I also used regular milk instead of cream and added baking powder to the list of ingredients. This recipe came out pretty darn good. It was even better the next morning.
Top Review by limeleaf
Everyone at work really liked these scones. I used milk chocolate chips. Five stars for flavour! The only change I made was that I needed more liquid to bring it together so ended up adding about a quarter cup extra milk.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling the tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the first eight ingredients and using a pastry cutter or fork make a coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl combine the milk, egg, orange juice and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just until blended. Turn the dough into a floured surface and knead slightly five or six times.
- Roll the dough out to 3/4 inch thick and cut into rounds with a floured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Sprinkle tops with coarse sugar before baking.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.