Recipe by Sharlene~W
Time does not include 1 hour chilling time.
Top Review by Lieutenant Ducky
I made these cookies for the second time recently, and made a few changes. I used about 2 3/4 cups flour, just 1 cup of brown sugar, and for the eggs (I didn't have any) I used 1/2 cup oil. I used an eletric mixer, which made the texture quite delicate and almost shortbread-y! My mom said they were the best cookies she's ever had :D They turned out soft and chewy and had a nice round shape! next time I'll take photos. thanks for the great recipe!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- peel of 1 orange, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream the sugars, shortening, butter, vanilla, and orange juice.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, nuts and grated orange peel.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto a lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.