Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
family recipe. it's also good with lemon instead of orange
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds (divided use)
- 4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With cooking spray, grease 2 baking sheets.
- In food processor, chop ½ cup nuts until fine, like flour; set aside. In food processor, coarsely chop remaining nuts; place in bowl with flour, chocolate, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In large bowl of electric mixer beat eggs at medium speed until fluffy. Add finely ground almonds, sugar, butter and orange peel; beat until blended. Stir in flour mixture to form dough. Divide dough into quarters; on well-floured work surface, shape each quarter into a 12-by2-inch cylinder. Place 2 cylinders on each prepared baking sheet, and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until firm in center. Cool slightly; while still warm, with serrated knife, cut each cylinder diagonally into ½- inch thick slices. Place on baking sheets. Bake about 5 to 7 minutes, or just until crisp and brown on one side; turn and brown on other side 5 to 7 minutes longer. Cool on wire rack. If desired, drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate.