1 hr 30 mins
This is yet another wonderful, fabulous, delightful recipe from Alice Medrich ("Cookies and Brownies"). It took me a lot of work to track down this cookbook, which is out of print -- everything I've made from it has been first-rate. They need to bring this back into print!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300. Position rack in the middle of oven.
- 2Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; mix thoroughly with fork.
- 3Whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange extracts, and orange zest in a medium bowl.
- 4Mix in the orange juice.
- 5Using a rubber spatula, stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- 6Stir in chocolate chips.
- 7The batter will be thick and sticky (typical biscotti batter). Scrape the batter onto a baking sheet. (I cover my baking sheet with aluminum foil, then spray it with baking spray.) Using two spatulas, divide batter into two loaves, about 14" long and about 2.5" wide. Try to put at least 2.5" between the loaves; straighten the edges of the loaves with spatulas.
- 8Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm but springy when pressed with fingers.
- 9Cool for ten minutes in the pan. Then move loaves to a cutting board, and with a sharp knife (serrated is best), slice loaves on teh diagonal in 1/2" slices.
- 10Lay the biscotti on the baking sheet, cut side down, and bake for another 12 minutes.
- 11Take the biscotti out of the oven, turn them over, and bake another 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 12Note: If you don't want the biscotti to pick up a darker color, handle the second baking this way: Rather than laying the slices cut-side down, stand them upright, and bake them for a total of 24-30 minutes.
- 13Remove the biscotti from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- 14Medrich notes that the flavor will become stronger, and the biscotti will become more tender, after being stored for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (14 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 45
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 51.5
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.4 mg
- Sodium 30.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of