Recipe by Pikake21
Talk about the longest title ever! Anyway, I found these on the sourandsweet blog, and they look so amazingly delicious. I am searching for an opportunity to put these guys together!
Top Review by cindy.jay
These cupcakes are a lot of work but are truely awesome tasting. i also found the recipe on a blog, and then lost the link. i would just like to point out that this recipe does not make 12 cupcakes.
unless you make massive cupcakes. when making these cupcakes its very important not to overfill the cupcake cases. These cupcakes GROW. i doubled this recipe and easily made over 60 cupcakes (regular size not massive ones) i have lots of over run as well. i think for regular cupcakes (i used cases and a muffin pan) the mix easily made 60 using a double batch.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup grated orange zest (from 4 large oranges)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups good semisweet chocolate chunks
For the Hazlenut Buttercream Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons Frangelico
For the Nutella Ganache
- 8 ounces nutella
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cupcake:.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, then the orange zest.
- Sift together 3 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the orange juice, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in thirds to the creamed butter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Melt the chocolate and add into the orange batter.
- Pour 2/3 full into the cupcake wrappers, smooth the top, and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- For the Hazlenut Buttercream Frosting:.
- Cream butter and shortening with mixer for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Add Frangelico.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Mix on high speed for 5 minutes.
- For the Nutella Ganache:.
- Melt the Nutella and heavy cream in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- After the cupcakes have had a chance to cool, scoop out the tops of the cupcakes with a melon baller and cut off the “cone” part of the middle.
- Drizzle in the Nutella ganache and replace the top of the cupcake.
- Spread with the hazelnut frosting.
- You can decorate them with leftover orange rind, but that’s optional.