Recipe by Mirj
A great new flavor for roasting turkeys. Using an injector will make the turkey super moist. The amounts given here are for an 18 pound turkey.
- 1 whole turkey
- 1 cup margarine
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups orange juice (fresh is best)
- kosher salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey, reserve for gravy.
- Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well.
- Blot dry with paper towels inside and out.
- Preheat oven to 325° degrees.
- Reduce orange juice down to 1 cup.
- Melt margarine with chili powder and garlic powder.
- Mix in reduced orange juice.
- Cool slightly.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2 1/2" deep) roasting pan.
- Use an injector to inject the mixture into the turkey, especially in the meaty parts of the breast and thighs (see photo).
- Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Insert an oven safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone.
- Roast turkey in a pre-heated, 325° F oven.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, remove foil during last hour and a half of cooking time.
- Continue to roast until thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh, or 170 degrees F in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.