Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
For even more orange flavor add in a teaspoon of orange extract.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest rack).
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl beat beat the egg whites with 1/3 cup sugar until thick and glossy but not stiff.
- In a large bowl combine cake flour, 1-1/4 cups sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in orange peel, orange juice, milk, oil and egg yolks; mix at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Fold in egg whites into batter until well blended.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely, then fill and frost with orange or vanilla frosting.
It was wonderful, light and fluffy. I frosted it with an orange butter cream frosting with a surprise chocolate frosting between the layers. And dark-chocolate chips on top.