Recipe by wife2abadge
From the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. I posted it as it appears in the cookbook, but I would have liked more broccoli in it. Also, my sauce never really thickened, so I might skip the water next time and just use the juice and broth to cook the broccoli. I used the minced ginger in a jar to save time.
Top Review by ARathkamp
Our family loves orange chicken. This recipe is not quite the gusto of the restaurants version (of course not because this is calorie friendly), but for a diet version this recipe works! Family enjoyed this just as well and I'm sure our waist lines are thanking us.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced and peeled
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 T water
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the chicken, cook 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook ginger and chicken 2 more minutes, or til chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the skillet, combine the broccoli and water, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook, covered, until tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet; stir in the broth, orange juice, and soy sauce.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly.
- Add the orange; heat through.