1/3 Photos of Orange Chicken W/ Warm Honey & Potato Cabbage Salad
Hope Rock's Note:
YUM!! The first time I made this dish, I heard the words "OH MY GOSH, THIS IS GOOD" several times as it was being consumed. The honey and orange really make this such a sweet, succulent and savory dish. Low and slow is the key, so make sure there is enough time. I like to call this my weekend dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 chicken breast halves or 3 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs (Drumsticks)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (Freshly squeezed or Bottled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (Minced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
- 5 tablespoons honey (3 tbsp for basting, 2 tbsp for cabbage)
- 5 tablespoons orange juice (Freshly Squeezed or Bottled)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped savoy cabbage
- 1/4 cup plain raw almonds
- 1/8 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups potatoes (Any Type, Evenly Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1Starting with the marinade.
- 2Stir together in a small bowl 1/2 cup orange juice, olive oil, ginger, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- 3Place chicken pieces, including the drum sticks in a releasable zip-lock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken pieces. Seal bag and turn to coat all pieces. Marinate the chicken pieces in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but this recipe works best to allow up to 24 hours for marinate to penetrate. Be sure to turn the bag occasionally as it sits.
- 4Preheat Oven to 325 (F) degrees.
- 5Assemble the baking dish by placing a metal grill rack in the middle of a shallow baking dish, this elevates the chicken and allows the drippings to fall to the bottom of the pan. Two things will happen here, it bastes itself capturing all the drippings, and gives a delicious crispy finish to the chicken.
- 6Spray the assembled baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade bag and discard the marinade. Place the chicken skin side up on the centered, elevated metal grill rack.
- 7Add the evenly diced potato pieces to the bottom of the shallow baking pan, surrounding the perimeter of the elevated chicken pieces. Don't worry if there is not enough room to get the diced potatoes under the the elevated chicken, just fill in the perimeter. Drizzle 2 tbsp vegetable oil over the assemble potatoes.
- 8Bake uncovered low and slow for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Baste chicken occasionally with honey baste mixture during the last half hour of baking. (Chicken is cooked with a temperature of 170 degrees (F) for breast halves; 180 (F) degrees for thighs and drumsticks).
- 9There is no need to stir and turn the potatoes as they bake. It's important for the potatoes to retain their shape. Too much handling of the potatoes can cause breakage during the baking process.
- 10Honey Baste for the Chicken.
- 11Mix together in a small bowl 2 tsp orange peel, 3 tbsp orange juice, and 3 tbsp honey.
- 12Meanwhile, Prep the cabbage salad 1/2 hour before pulling the chicken out of the oven.
- 13In a medium bowl combine, chopped cabbage, green onions, almonds, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp orange juice and mix until well combined and set aside. But continue to stir the cabbage mixture occasionally in addition to basting the chicken through the last 1/2 hour of baking.
- 14Pull the chicken & potatoes out of the oven and set the chicken pieces on a resting board. Allow the chicken to rest for 6-10 minutes.
- 15While the chicken is resting, remove the grill rack from the center of the drip pan. With a metal spatula, begin to scrape and lift the potatoes stirring and mixing them around within the same pan, be sure to coat the potatoes with all the pan drippings, sprinkle with 1 tsp seasoning salt, mix well.
- 16Add the potatoes to the cabbage mixture and fold in until well combined.
- 17Plate about 3/4 to 1 cup of the cabbage mixture on the bottom, place one or two chicken pieces on top and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Chicken W/ Warm Honey & Potato Cabbage Salad
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.0
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 138.7 mg
- Sodium 227.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: