1/1 Photo of Orange Chicken (Restaurant Style)
2 hrs 15 mins
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
I have been playing with this recipe for ages. I think this comes pretty close to the orange chicken that I enjoy at my favorite chinese restaurant. Served over steamed rice or fried rice makes it a one-dish meal. I sprinkle chopped green onions on mine. Yum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Pour into saucepan water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce; and set over medium-high heat. Stir in orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper, and chopped onion. In a small bowl Mix 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of cold water mix well and add it to your sauce. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Place chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve remaining sauce. Seal bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 3In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add marinated chicken pieces, and shake to coat.
- 4Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet, and brown on both sides. Remove to paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.
- 5Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water, and stir into sauce. Reduce heat to medium low; stir in chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Serve over Fried Rice or steamed white Rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Chicken (Restaurant Style)
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.8
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 1056.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 56.7 g
- Protein 53.0 g