Recipe by Dienia B.
From Laura Kelley book, The Silk Road Gourmet; looks beautful; it is supposed to be Iranian; sweet and sour.
Top Review by awalde
This is a royal dish! Hard to belive that nobody discovered this gem for such a long time!
It's delicious and I couldn't expect it better.
I only had to renounce to the carrot since we finished them in advance.
Thanks a lot for this dish that we surely will prepare again!
- 3 tablespoons oil, sesame
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 onions, cut in cresents
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 3 oranges, peeled in segments
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 3 teaspoons almonds, slivered
- 2 teaspoons pistachio nuts, chopped finely
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat sesame oil; saute chicken; remove chicken to a platter.
- Add onions to oil; add orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper; stir.
- Add chicken back; roll chicken around to coat in the spices.
- Add orange juice; bring to near boil; cook 20 minutes covered; stir occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Cook on low until chicken becomes tender.
- Combine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and saffron water in medium saucepan; heat for 10 minutes until hot; add orange segments; stir well.
- Add carrots, almonds and pistachio nuts to chicken mixture and cook for 15 minutes more.
- When done add lime juice mixture; stir.
- Garnish with herbs like cilantro.