Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 6 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces frozen concentrate orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, Shredded
- 2 cups mandarin oranges or 2 cups canned mandarin oranges
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Put chicken, ginger, salt, pepper and frozen orange juice in crock pot and cook on low 6 hours.
- Serve chicken on hot cooked rice on platter.
- Top with coconut, orange segments and green onions.
- Serve chicken liquid in gravy boat, if desired.
I did not have time to add the coconut, oranges, and onions but it still tasted good. I believe I'd like to thicken the gravy just a bit to serve over the rice. Crockpots are a life saver!
We thought this dish was very tasty and very easy to put together. It also looked beautiful when plated - I wish we had taken a picture - I will the next time I make this. I think the problem some others may have had was the size of the pieces of chicken. I used very large boneless, skinless breasts (11 ozs each) and bone-in thighs. If you use the small 6-8 oz breast, they will definitely be dried out. If you do use the smaller breasts, I would suggest cooking for less time.
I feel bad giving this such a low rating, but I want to warn others considering it. Chicken that has cooked for hours in orange juice concentrate is not only dried out but just does not taste good. The combination of flavors in the ingredients sounds good, but there needs to be a lot of alterations to get the final dish to taste good.