Scott Derringer's Note:
This is my take on the orange chicken that you get at your favorite chinese restaurant. Crispy chicken with a sweet orange sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken thigh
- 2 -3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded broccoli
- 7 -8 dried arbol chiles
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 orange peel, cut into thin strips
- 1Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, combine egg white, 1 Tbsp corn starch and 1 Tbsp soy sauce and mix well.
- 3Add the chicken and stir well until all the chicken is coated. Let marinate 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.
- 4Place rice flour in a gallon ziploc bag, add chicken and shake vigorously until the chicken is well coated.
- 5Mix together the ingredients for the sauce: Combine honey, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, sesame oil, 3 cloves of mince garlic, grated ginger orange juice concentrate and 2 Tbsp corn starch and mix well.
- 6In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil and add garlic. cook until aroma is apparent, but be sure not to overcook. remove garlic and add chicken to hot oil piece by piece and cook until chicken is crispy. ( you can also use deep fryer if you desire).
- 7Remove chicken to a serving bowl and drain all but 2 to 3 Tbsp of oil.
- 8Add dried arbol chili peppers, orange peel, carrots and broccoli to oil and stir fry until carrots and broccoli are al dente.
- 9Add sauce mixture to hot pan all at once and cook until thickened.
- 10Re-introduce chicken and stir until well coated. Place in serving bowl and serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Szechuan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1945.2
- Calories from Fat 1060
- Total Fat 117.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 2874.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 176.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 147.8 g
- Protein 58.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: