Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces orange juice, from frozen concentrate reconstituted
- 2 cups mandarin orange segments or 2 cups fresh orange sections
- 2 green onions, chopped
- cooked rice, hot
- Put chicken, ginger, salt, pepper& frozen orange juice in slow-cooking crockpot and cook on low 6 hours.
- Serve chicken on hot cooked rice on platter.
- Top with coconut, orange segments and green onions.
- Serve chicken liquid in gravy boat, if desired.
This was easy to make, and delicious. I followed this recipe as written, except that I used chicken thighs because that was what I had thawed. The orange juice flavored the chicken nicely, and the ginger was not overpowering. The only change I will make the next time I cook this, will be to not fully reconstitute the orange juice (i.e., add less water). My "Picky Panel of Judges" gave this recipe 5 stars.
The sauce is very good, but the chicken was dry. I think I would use boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts if I make this again.
Loved this! I did this on the stovetop and expanded on this recipe: I sauteed the chicken in coconut oil. Then I added roasted red peppers, carrots, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Then I used Langer's (all natural) frozen orange juice concentrate with a little chicken broth to thin it out just a teeny bit. Folded in the ginger and green onions. I topped it off with a few mandarin orange slices and toasted cashews, served over jasmine rice. Mmmmm!!!