Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've found this recipe on blogchef.net and have made it many, many times. It is absolutely delicious! If you’re looking for a simple Chinese dish for dinner this evening be sure to give this recipe for orange chicken a try.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-1/2 cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons green onions (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture and shake in flour mixture to coat. Deep fry chicken in batches at 375°F in a deep fryer (or use a wok) until completely cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and if desired add red pepper flakes and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
Excellent recipe! We've made many orange chicken recipes that claim to be Panda Express copycats. This one doesn't claim to be anything but orange chicken & it's the closest we've found to date. I followed the recipe exactly, using my deep fryer & the results are not too sweet, not too tangy & not too orangey. Our only change was to add a lot more than 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. But, we like hot stuff so that doesn't factor into the rating. :) Thanks for sharing, Katie! Made for Unrated Asian recipe tag game.
Made this for my family tonight and it was a HUGE hit! Thank you so much.
This is so yummy. It made everyone happy. The kids liked it better without the sauce. For us adults we found it was not spicy enough for our liking so we added more red pepper to the sauce while it was cooking. I also used fresh ginger. For those who don't like onion, I cooked the green onion in the sauce too. It adds a bit of flavor and not so over powering. I give this 2 thumbs up.