Chef #368894's Note:
Based on the orange chicken served at our local Chinese restaurant, this is a sweet and spicy dish. We have made it lower fat by using an oven-frying technique to prepare the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup orange juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 8 slices orange peel
- 6 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 small dried red chilies, whole (optional)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cooking spray
- 1Place chicken in 1-gallon zipper-lock bag; set aside.
- 2Combine chicken broth, orange juice, grated zest, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne in large saucepan (with at least 3-quart capacity); whisk until sugar is fully dissolved.
- 3Measure out 3/4 cup mixture and pour into bag with chicken; press out as much air as possible and seal bag, making sure that all pieces are coated with marinade. Refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes, but no longer.
- 4Bring remaining mixture in saucepan to boil over high heat. In small bowl, stir together cornstarch and cold water; whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, until thick and translucent, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in orange peel and chiles (sauce should measure 1 1/2 cups); set sauce aside.
- 5Place egg whites in pie plate; using fork, beat until frothy. In second pie plate, whisk cornstarch, cayenne, and baking soda until combined. Drain chicken in colander or large mesh strainer; thoroughly pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- 6Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 7Place half of chicken pieces in egg whites and turn to coat; transfer pieces to cornstarch mixture and coat thoroughly. Place dredged chicken pieces on wire rack set over baking sheet; repeat with remaining chicken.
- 8Arrange chicken pieces on baking sheet lined with non-stick foil. Spray with cooking oil spray. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- 9Reheat sauce over medium heat until simmering, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and gently toss until evenly coated and heated through. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.1
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 1013.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: