Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
***note this is not like the Chinese takeout Orange Chicken...its not quite there yet... I have to tweek some things but I am on a healthier eating kick right now so it will be a while before I try to play with this recipe.*** this was posted in a forum I am on but I made a little bit of changes to suit my taste. Another thing that can be done is instead of using 1 tsp orange zest, you can just use about a 1+1/2 square inch size piece of orange peel and then when the sauce is done take the piece out. If using the zest you may get a strong orangy taste here and there when you eat a piece of zest that is in the sauce or on the done chicken... so if you don't want it just do the suggestion I made :D
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (wash orange well before)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (white part only)
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornstarch (in a plastic baggie)
- Cut chicken breast into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- Make marinade: Combine egg white, salt and sugar in a bowl and stir vigorously until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add chicken cubes to marinade and stir to coat well.
- Let marinate while preparing the sauce.
- Make orange sauce: In a bowl, combine water, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, 4 teaspoons cornstarch and sesame oil; stir and set aside.
- Place a pot over high heat. When pot is hot, add the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat.
- Add orange peel and scallion and stir for about 20 seconds, taking care not to burn the orange peel.
- Pour combined sauce ingredients into the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- To finish: Preheat 4 cups oil to 350-375°F.
- Meanwhile, put marinated chicken in the plastic baggie containing the cornstarch.
- Shake chicken well for about 20 seconds or until chicken is covered with cornstarch.
- Shake off all excess cornstarch and fry chicken in hot oil until golden brown, approximately 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oil with a slotted spoon, drain well and set aside.
- Add fried chicken to pot with heated orange sauce, stir for about 30 seconds, then serve immediately.
- Serve with steamed rice.