Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from my Dad, who got it off a recipe card. Not satisfied with the orange flavor of the original recipe, I tweaked a few ingredients to make it more intense. You can use your own graham cracker crust recipe if you prefer; we like the store-bought Oreo (dark chocolate) crust.
- 9 inch Oreo cookie pie crusts (I use Keebler brand)
- 2 (453.59 g) package light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 59.14 ml orange juice concentrate, thawed & undiluted
- 2 medium whole navel oranges
- 14.79 ml flour
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml pure orange extract
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Using a microplane grater or the smallest holes on a box grater, zest one entire orange onto a plate or into a bowl; set aside, and refrigerate zested orange for a later use.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, making sure there are no lumps; add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs and egg yolk; then add orange juice concentrate, orange zest, flour, vanilla extract& orange extract and mix until thoroughly combined, scraping down sides& bottom of bowl frequently to make sure all of the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place prepared pie crust in center of a cookie sheet (preferably without sides).
- Brush crust with some of the orange juice concentrate.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared crust and bake 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set but still wiggles slightly when shaken gently (cheesecake will continue to cook after removing from oven).
- Remove cheesecake from oven, and let cool thoroughly on a wire rack (without the cookie sheet).
- When cooled to room temperature, refrigerate cheesecake for several hours.
- While cheesecake is chilling, remove some of the rind from the second orange with a vegetable peeler or citrus zester, being careful to only remove the orange part (the white pith is bitter).
- If using a vegetable peeler, cut the pieces of rind into very thin julienne strips; set aside.
- Make chocolate curls by scraping a large chocolate bar with a heavy knife, holding knife at a 90-degree angle to bar.
- When ready to serve, place a mound of the chocolate curls in center of cheesecake; sprinkle with julienned strips of orange.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.