Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Kids like the look and the taste of this crunchy candy. I made this for my students every year. Serving it made me feel virtuous because there's bound to be a little nutrition somewhere in the cereal. Trix cereal is probably the prettiest to use but any favorite cereal may be substituted. When it's not Halloween, try making this confection with other fruit flavored Jello: strawberry, lemon -- they're all good! Recipe is from Betty Crocker.
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange Jell-O
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups Trix cereal (or another favorite) or 4 cups Alpha-bits cereal (or another favorite)
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, mix the Jello (dry) corn syrup and butter. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in cereal until evenly coated. With buttered back of spoon, spread mixture in buttered pan.
- Cover; chill until set, about 30 minutes. Use a metal pumpkin-shaped Halloween cookie cutter to cut pumpkins.
- NOTE: Although you set the candy by chilling, it keeps well at room temperature.
- ANOTHER NOTE; Mixture may be spread in a 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and later cut into squares.