Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
A delicious version of creme brulee. This is great for a dinner party.
- 6 cups milk
- 2 -2 1⁄2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 large oranges, zest of, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold milk
- 8 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 12 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Combine milk, cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest and salt in large saucepan and bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk cornstarch and cold milk in small bowl until smooth.
- Whisk yolks with 2 cups sugar in large bowl until light and creamy.
- Blend cornstarch mixture into yolks.
- Remove cinnamon and vanilla bean from hot milk and strain milk into another large saucepan.
- Stir about 1 cup hot milk into yolk mixture, slowly and whisking constantly, and blend well.
- Gradually whisk yolk mixture into hot milk in saucepan and blend well.
- Place over medium heat and cook until mixture thickens and almost boils, about 10 minutes.
- Divide cream among 12 ovenproof ½ cup ramekins.
- Let cool.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp superfine sugar over each ramekin of orange cream.
- Set cups in roasting pan lined with ice.
- Broil until sugar is rich golden-brown.
- Cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Postre anaranjado delicioso, cremoso. Estoy en amor con esto. Delicious, creamy orange dessert. I am in love with this. I did not put it in the oven to carmelize since I used hollwed out orange halves for dishes and my torch was not working. So I added a bit of grand Marnier and flambe it. LOL This will be made again and again. It is so light . I did not strain it since I wanted the zest to still be in the custard. Made for ZWT 5 Spain/Portugal region for team Zaar Chow Hounds
A delicious blend of flavours and wonderfully clear instructions which, as an occasional rather than a regular dessert maker, I greatly appreciated. I halved the recipe so we're going to be enjoying this again over the next night or two. With such clear instructions, surprisingly easy to make. Just loved the blend of cinnamon, vanilla and orange. Very much a recipe I'll be making again. Thank you for sharing it! Made for ZWT 5.
What did I do wrong, Ev? It didn't set. :( I made it for a dinner party, so we all tried the flavor anyway and it was AMAZING! Some people loved it so much that they poured the unset custard over their ice cream (backup dessert!) and couldn't get enough. I want to rate it after I get it to set, so please zmail me what I likely did wrong!