Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Once again, I love anything with citrus..I think even better than chocolate!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Blend 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, coconut, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and oranges (undrained} in bowl on high speed -- for 1-2 minutes --
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt --
- Blend on medium speed for 45 seconds -- scrape bowl and add carrots.
- Pour into greased 13x9 pan -- or two 9" round cake pans.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool completely on racks -- (let set in pan for 10 minutes before removing) if using round cake pans. I leave it in the 13x9 pans.
- To prepare ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Cream cream cheese and butter until smooth -- add the rest of the ingredients. Beat until smooth --
- Frosting will not be as stiff -- add more powdered sugar if you desire a stiffer frosting --
- Frosting will harden in the refrigerator --
- Garnish cake with drained mandarine oranges if desired --.
This is a wonderfully rich and tasty cake. I've baked it a few times and it has always been a success. The icing I am yet to try. This one's a true keeper!