Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I always knew orange went well with carrot cake. I had often been seen eating carrot cake and having orange soda. Now that was a sugar rush!
For the Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
For the Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off with a knife.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients until moistened (do not drain oranges); beat 2 minutes at high speed with mixer.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean; cool completely.
- Prepare frosting in a large bowl; mix all ingredients except nuts; beat until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of frosting.
- Store cake in refrigerator.