From Canadian Living magazine.
Make and share this Orange Carrot Bundt Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Grease 10-cup classic or fancy bundt or tube pan; dust with flour. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in orange rind and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture alternatively with sour cream, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of sour cream. Fold in carrots. Scrape into prepared pan; tap pan on counter and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of 325F oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to rack; let cool completely.
- Glaze: in small bowl, mix icing sugar with orange juice until smooth; brush over cake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls and candied orange rind.
This cake came out very nicely. I liked the fact that the cake batter was not overly sweet and the icing on top (I just halfed the recipe amounts) hit the spot. The cake smelled and tasted like oranges which was a great contrast with the carrots. It rose beautifully and was done right around the hour mark. Don't open the oven door any sooner the cake will fall a bit (as mine did when I checked it at 50 minutes) The batter for me was a bit thick, and I think next time I would increase the amount of carrots, to perhaps 11/2 cups. Very easy to throw together. Thanks Redsie for sharing! MAde it for photo tag.
Great cake but needed a little spice so I added in cinnamon and nutmeg, I also increased the vanilla to 1 tablespoon, also I increased the baking powder to 2 teaspoons, I baked mine on convection for just under 1 hour, thanks for sharing Reds!...Kitten:)
Redsie, great cake! I didnt have low fat sour cream so used regular and matchstick carrots instead of grating. The glaze was wonderful and gave a deeper flavor of orange to the cake. Moist and tasty cake and not a lot of work to make!