Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Yogurt and aromatic cardamom blend deliciously in ths great-tasting sweet bread. Recipe comes from Fleishmanns Yeast
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup dried currants or 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded orange rind
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufactuer, adding yogurt with water and currants with flour.
- Recommended cycle, basic/white bread cycle; light or medium/normal color setting.
Deliciously fragrant - we used fresh ground cardamon & finely grated orange peel (Microplane for Christmas!). Deeeelicious! Rose like a charm - was very supple & easy to work with - divided dough in 1/2 after using ABM to mix. Gave second rise to 2 round slashed loves. Baked 30 minutes at 350 F. They were perfect - thanks for another keeper, Barb!
I made this bread by hand. Actually I've made it twice in the past three days. It didn't rise well for me the first time. I thought I must have done something wrong, so tried again. There was a possibility I had let the dough rise too long the first time, so limited the rising time the second try. The bread came out light and fluffy. The flavor combination is very good, too. Even the first loaf tasted good, however. I used currants and sour orange rind in the first loaf, and raisins and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind in the second. I did add one more teaspoon sugar for the lemon rind. Thank you for posting this recipe.
This is a very nice bread recipe, the orange zest works wonderfully with the cardamom .. I have also tried it with lemon zest and it was good too .. thank you!