Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted by request from Bon Appetit 6/04. choose your frosting- the recipe makes enough for 2 batches. If you're only making 1 batch, reduce frosting recipe in half and choose vanilla or almond.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 9 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water
- 2 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter (41/2 sticks)
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
for vanilla frosting add additional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
for almond frosting add
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray insides of paper molds with spray.
- Arrange on 2 baking sheets.
- Sift flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, orange peel, flower water, and vanilla in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer, gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add egg mixture.
- Beat in dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each paper mold.
- bake about 25 minutes, switching racks after 12 minutes.
- Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter until softened, beat in sugar, cream, vanilla.
- Divide into 2 bowls.
- Add vanilla to one bowl; stir.
- Add almond extract and food coloring to the other bowl; stir.
- Frost cupcakes,.
I halved it and used 7 minute fluffy frosting. They are light and the cardamom and orange together is fantastic! Next time I may use more zest. Oh, I didn't have orange flower water, so i used 1 teaspoon of orange flavoring. Will make again.
I had printed this recipe and taken it with me on my holiday. I followed the recipe as is except I add 5 tsps of cardamom, since I had bought store ground cardamom it was tastless and couldnt detect even a slight hint of it in the baked cake. Also i added 4 tsps orange flower water, it was perfect for us. I baked 1/2 batch in a rose bundt and the other 1/2 in a loaf tin. I didnt use the cream icing cuz i wanted this as a breakfast cake. I made an orange juice sugar syrup and poured it over both the baked cakes. and They are delicious. I would make they again for sure. Thank You Chia
Loved the cardamom and orange flavour to these delectable cupcakes (and so did everyone who tried them). Buttery-rich, with a subtle orange flavour, and a very tender crumb. Good rise to them too. I made the vanilla frosting and we all swooned. Definitely not for every day because they're so rich. I can't wait for our next special occassion. Keeper file.