Prep 10 mins
Cook 44 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water (hot)
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla baking chips (2 cups)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated (orange part only)
- garnish orange strip (optional)
- Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on two of the sides (short sides the pan).
- Lightly butter the foil.
- This will help you to get the fudge out later on--keeps the pan clean too.
- Set aside.
- Lightly butter a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the sugar, sour cream, butter and coffee/water mixture into the bowl.
- Microwave on high 5-6 minutes or until the mixture boils.
- Stir after 2-1/2 and 5 minutes.
- After sugar mixture comes to a full rolling boil, microwave on high 5-6 minutes longer (stir after 3 minutes), or until the mixture reaches soft-ball stage (234F) on a candy thermometer.
- Do not leave the thermometer in the bowl while the microwave is on!
- Take the bowl out to check it.
- Keep microwaving until the thermometer reads 234.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave; add the vanilla chips,marshmallow creme and orange peel; stir until smooth.
- Pour into foil-lined pan.
- Smooth evenly into the corners with a narrow metal spatula or a knife.
- Let the fudge sit for about 2 minutes,then score (mark) into 70 squares.
- Let candy sit until firm.
- Remove from the pan by lifting on the foil.
- Place the foil onto a cutting board; cut along score lines into squares.
- Remove the candy from the foil.
- Garnish with orange peel strips if desired.