Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A Scottish recipe from Scotlandaborad.com
- one stick
- 8 ounces caster sugar (or fine granulated sugar)
- 12 ounces self-raising flour (all-purpose flour with baking powder)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup orange, and lemon juice mixed (or orange and lime)
Butter Cream Ingredients
- 12 ounces icing sugar (frosting)
- 6 ounces margarine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or lime juice)
- Preheat the oven to 160C (320F or Gas Mark 3)
- Mix the margarine and sugar together and cream until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the fruit juices and the flour and mix well. Pour the mixture into a cake tin measuring 8"x12"x1½" (20cmx30cmx3.5cm) which has been lined with baking parchment and spread evenly.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for roughly 35 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the tin before removal and storage in an air-tight container.
This is sort of a rustic, primitive cake. The cake is very orange-y and the frosting super-sweet. Together they work.