Recipe by Meg M.
I got this recipe from my cousin, who is Vegan. The cake turns out sooooo fluffy and soooooo goooooood, you wouldn't even know it's Vegan.
Top Review by Okami Hime
I was looking for a good recipe to use my lovely bag of blood oranges with and this caught my attention- mainly because I want cake yet still be on my diet. :D
The changes I made was the vegetable oil to olive oil, white vinegar to rice wine vinegar (only because it is what I had on hand), vanilla to almond extract (which is amazing and added a sweet fruity note) and the orange juice to freshly squeezed blood orange juice.
It came out beautifully. I pretty much burned myself trying to get a taste. I do advise to use the almond extract over vanilla- it really lifts the taste. I find vanilla dull and overly used. Thank you and your cousin for this lovely recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together: flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. (Dry Mixture).
- Mix in mixing bowl: orange juice, oil, orange zest, vinegar and vanilla. (Wet Mixture).
- Combine "wet" mixture to the "dry" mixture.
- Put in 8x8 greased pan.
- Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes.