Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I really like orange and chocolate together, so I created this to go with Cooked Fudge Frosting (Cooked Fudge Frosting) tagged for Spring PAC 2014.
- 6 ounces orange juice concentrate (thawed, UNDILUTED, poured into a 2-cup microwavable measure)
- 10 ounces water (Add water to thawed orange concentrate, just up to 2-cup fill line)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup butter (salted or unsalted, at room temperature)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange extract (or vanilla)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Combine the thawed orange juice concentrate with about 10 ounces water (add enough water just to the 2-cup fill line).
- Add orange zest to orange juice, and heat in the microwave until hot. Set aside to cool down, (I placed it into the refrigerator while I creamed butter/sugar).
- Cream butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy (about 5-8 minutes).
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F (PYREX).
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Add orange (or vanilla) extract. Mix until combined.
- Pour COOLED, BUT STILL WARM, orange juice over the flour mixture.
- Add butter, sugar, salt, egg mixture IMMEDIATELY to flour/orange juice mixture. Combine well.
- Immediately pour cake batter into a 13 x 9 Pyrex dish sprayed with baking spray containing flour, and bake 20-25 minutes. (Check at 20 minutes).
- While hot, I poked holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer, then topped the cake with hot Cooked Fudge Frosting (recipe #477405).