Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a favorite from my childhood. I always use orange jello, cause it's the way mom made it. But you could easily substitute other flavors. Very low fat if you use fat free coolwhip. Keeps well for days, and is great to bring for potlucks. Can be made in a pretty jello mold or just in a bowl and scooped with a spoon.
- 6 ounces orange gelatin
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 10 ounces canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups buttermilk
- In a saucepan, mix the jello powder with the pineapple and the pineapple juice from the can the juice, add the drained oranges.Heat over medium high heat. When it just comes to a boil remove from the heat and allow to cool 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the jello mixture with the buttermilk until well incorporated. Fold in the cool whip and pecans. Pour into a jello mold or just a regular glass or tupperware bowl. Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, unmold onto a plate, or just scoop from the bowl.
yea! i found one of my favorite recipes that i seem to keep losing! It is really so simple i should have it memorized by now. This recipe seems odd, but you cant even tell there is buttermilk--it is just like creamy velvet! I usually leave out the nuts, and am going to try lime jello, omiting oranges. Thanks for the post!
Very definitely made this low fat, using both a low-fat buttermilk & the Cool Whip, but otherwise made it as given, & it is a great tasting salad, but then I always enjoy the combo of pineapple & mandarin oranges! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]