Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Can use sweetened flaked coconut for garnish.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (7 ounce) package dried tropical fruit, chopped
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup orange juice
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine 3 3/4 cups flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Toss together fruit and remaning 1/4 cup flour; add nuts and orange rind. Stir fruit mixture into batter and pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Bring orange juice and remaining 2 cups sugar to a boil in a saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Pierce cake with a wooden pick and gently run a knife around edge of pan to loosen sides. Pour glaze over warm cake. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate.