- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until in fine crumbs.
- Beat eggs with orange juice; drizzle over crumbs, tossing with fork to moisten.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead gently for 30 seconds.
- Roll or pat into an eight inch square; spread with butter.
- Mix the orange sugar and sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion; cut into eight slices.
- Place, side by side and cut side down, in a greased 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake in centre of a 425 oven for 35 minutes or until golden.
I was going to post this recipe and found it was already on the database!!! Original source from the great Canadian Living Magazine. Update 4/2010 I made these buns again and they are soooo yummy, I love the sweet orange flavour of the buns! I wanted to take a photo, but I forgot!! Oh well, an excuse to make them again!!
Made these for my company at the lake. Easy to make great flavor
Wonderful recipe. More like scones then actual 'buns', but that's more up my alley. : ) Very tender on the inside. As you can see, it's quite brown on the outside, but that is purely the fault of the baker. I set the timer for 35 minutes and went off to do other things. Clearly it was ready sooner than that. The extra sugar on the outside caramelized and made the outside a little crisp. Next time I'll check at 20 minutes and then keep an eye on it. I added a few dried cranberries in half of the rolled batter for variety, but other than that, made as written. I'll reduce the amount of 'orange sugar' to 1/2 cups next time. There was quite a bit of it left, which I sprinkled on top once it was in the pan. As you can see by the photo, I had to squeeze to get it in the pan. The only tube pan I had was a bundt. But like I said....wonderful recipe, and I'll certainly be making it again...and again......:) Made in honour of your dear husband Ed.