Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
I found this recipe not to long ago and have never seen one like it, so I decided to post it here 8)
Top Review by mianbao
I like these very much! They rose high, light and fluffy. They are not very sweet, though part of the reason may be that I used a citrus fruit a bit more sour than an orange. I also added a little more zest, too. The flavor is very nice, though, and I'm sure an icing (if I bother to make any) will offset the sourness completely and make these absolutely delectable. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375°.
- Proof the yeast, scald the milk, add butter, sugar and salt to it.
- When lukewarm, add yeast to it; mix well. Add about 2 cups of flour and beat well.
- Add eggs, orange juice and peel. Add flour, mixing well after each addition, until it pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead for about 10 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch dough down and, if you like, let it rise again.
- Divide dough into 3 balls. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Make into braids or buns and rise once more.
- Bake until done. You can frost with a orange icing and sprinkle some nuts if desired.