Recipe by Dienia B.
The Presidents' Own White House Cookbook, by Jones. a nice coffee cake
Top Review by midesire
I hosted a brunch for the sister's from my church and made this cake. It is delicious and everyone enjoyed it. Two of the husbands came by later in the day and finised it off. I followed the recipe and served it warm. This is a keeper. Thank you Dienia
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites till stiff.
- Cream 1 cup butter with 1 cup sugar till creamy.
- Add egg yolks; beat.
- Add salt, peel, vanilla; beat.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- take a little out to flour dates and nut,or they will sink to bottom
- Add alternately flour and buttermilk, ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold in dates and nuts.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Turn into bottom greased only 13x9x2 inch pan. (i used springform pan ).
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Pour sauce over cake while still warm.
- Heat to boiling 1/2 cup sugar and orange juice together and pour over cake. (i didnt need to do this it was orangey and sweet enough for us and moist enough ).