Prep 20 mins
Cook 28 mins
Another from the Land O Lake site, this one I have tried before though. It is quite good though I changed it a little with the addition of the orange and vanilla extracts.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup mandarin orange segments, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or 2 tablespoons mandarin orange liquid
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 400°F; combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and orange peel in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in Mandarin oranges and cranberries.
- Combine sour cream, egg, extracts and orange juice in small bowl; beat with wire whisk until smooth; stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until well mixed. (Mixture will be dry seeming.)
- Spread into greased 9-inch round cake pan & sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and scone is lightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan then cut into wedges.
Delicious! Next time I'll go heavier on the orange and lighter on the vanilla.