Prep 8 mins
Cook 1 hr
Better than cake!! Light orange taste. I love this bread!! Great to give as gifts.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in walnuts, dates, and orange peel.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350* for 60 minutes or until done.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spoon half over hot bread.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Spoon remaining glaze over.
Delicious & moist. Brought some in for my colleagues at work who enjoyed it equally as much as I.
I made the glaze for another bread recipe, it's swesome. I will try the bread next, I love oranges and dates.
This is a really delightful combination of the bright orange flavor with dates and nuts. Loved it - easy and delicious ! This recipe will be perfect for mini loaves for gifts.