Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was playing around with my grandmother's recipes one morning and found this recipe from my great-grandma. I thought it would be more like a loaf, but it's more like a coffee cake and good. I translated some of the old language into modern measurements and it works well.
- 177.44 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 1 whole orange
- 473.18 ml sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml butter, room temperature
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml raisins
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- Grease and flour a 9x9 pan.
- Combine cream and lemon juice and set aside to "sour".
- Wash the orange well (I usually use a little dish soap and rinse really well). Zest the orange, then juice it. Reserve both the orange zest and the juice.
- Cream 1 cup sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add in soured cream, vanilla, flour, soda and orange zest and mix until just moistened.
- Mix in raisins just until thoroughly distributed.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the orange juice and remaining sugar and microwave until the sugar is dissolved (this is the glaze).
- Pour glaze over hot cake and allow to absorb a few min before serving.
- ENJOY hot or cooled.