I was playing around with my grandmother's recipes one morning and found this recipe from my great-grandma. I thought it would be more like a loaf, but it's more like a coffee cake and good. I translated some of the old language into modern measurements and it works well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375* F.
- 2Grease and flour a 9x9 pan.
- 3Combine cream and lemon juice and set aside to "sour".
- 4Wash the orange well (I usually use a little dish soap and rinse really well). Zest the orange, then juice it. Reserve both the orange zest and the juice.
- 5Cream 1 cup sugar and butter until fluffy.
- 6Add in soured cream, vanilla, flour, soda and orange zest and mix until just moistened.
- 7Mix in raisins just until thoroughly distributed.
- 8Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- 9Bake 30 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 10While the cake is baking, mix together the orange juice and remaining sugar and microwave until the sugar is dissolved (this is the glaze).
- 11Pour glaze over hot cake and allow to absorb a few min before serving.
- 12ENJOY hot or cooled.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Bread (Coffee Cake 1876) No Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.3
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.4 mg
- Sodium 294.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 3.9 g