Recipe by chefmick
This is a yeasted bread rather than a quick bread. prep time does not include rising time.
- 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange zest
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 -3 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- dissolve yeast in warm water.
- in separate bowl combine sugar, orange zest, salt and baking soda.
- to sugar mixture add milk, melted butter, orange juice and dissolved yeast.
- add enough flour to make a stiff dough. turn out and knead till smooth. Dough should not be sticky.
- place in greased mixing bowl turning to coat dough. cover and let rise till doubled.
- Punch down and divide in half. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased loaf pans, cover and let rise till doubled.
- brush with egg yolk wash (optional).
- bake @ 350 degrees F for 30 - 35 minutes. I measure inside temp to 180 to 190 degrees before pulling out to cool.