Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Haven't made this yet, but it sounds awesome. I'm told it freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine butter, oj, orange peel, dates, sugar, egg, and pecans.
- Mix and sift remaining ingredients.
- Stir together and mix well.
- Turn into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until done.
This is delicious! I baked this this evening in my AMC Dutch Oven. It took 1 hour to bake in it. What astonished me was the quantity of the mixture that really rose to double of the little that went into the oven to bake. Really rose well. Came out wonderful. Tastes like it came straight out of a bakery. I plan to make more and gift to friends' in the future. This time I used cashewnuts instead of pecans as I have never been lucky enough to even see a pecan in real life, but had a stock of cashews and didn't quite know what to do with them, so I used them here! The dates in this tasted beautiful once the bread was baked. I was a little hesitant to use 1/2 cup, so I used just about 1/4 cup, will use more next time. This is the first orange bread that I've baked and I'm thrilled it came out so good. Thanks for sharing!