Recipe by Maryland Jim
Try this bread with orange marmalade! No problem with getting your daily dose of vitamin C.
Top Review by HokiesMom
Wow this is terrific. The orange flavor is fabulous and the bread has such a perfect texture for a quick bread. I made one loaf and it baked for 30 minutes and then we lost power for 3 days - I was so disappointed because it smelled so heavenly so as soon as power returned I made this again! Fabulous breakfast treat with just a light spread of butter on top. Made for the Bargain Basement tag game.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated orange rind
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender. Add milk, orange juice, and egg. Mix just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Add grated orange rind and chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan, spreading batter to corners.
- Bake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes. Turn onto rack to cool. Best if made at least one day in advance.