Recipe by Donna S.
This bread really captures the sweet flavor of oranges. Great to use up oranges, freezes well, and makes the best french toast!!!
- 1 orange, seedless
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut unpeeled orange into quarters and put into a food processor to finely chop.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and water into a saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add finely chopped orange and cook until thick. This takes about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix egg, milk, oil and orange mixture. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just blended. But do not overmix or bread will be tough.
- Turn into a 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Remove from pan, wrap well in foil and refrigerate overnight.
- NOTE: Refrigerating it overnight really helps the flavors develop. This bread freezes well. Leftover bread makes great French toast.