Recipe by Irmgard
These muffins are amazing! You can mix up the batter, keep it in the fridge and bake up a few at a time, or you can bake up the entire recipe at once and freeze the muffins. The choice is yours!
- 5 cups 100% all-bran cereal
- 4 cups natural bran
- 3 cups raisins
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 coarsely grated orange rind
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 5 eggs
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together bran cereal, natural bran, raisins, rolled oats and orange rind; pour in the water, stirring well.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs; add the buttermilk, sugar, oil, molasses and orange juice.
- Stir into the bran mixture.
- Combine the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Add to the bran mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- The batter can then be covered and refrigerated for up to one week.
- Scoop the batter into large greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling to the top.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.