Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Melt in your mouth muffin. The Prevention reports states that these muffins defeat breast cancer. I tried them and they are good tasting muffins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flax seed, ground
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oranges, quartered and seeded
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners, or coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oat bran, flour, flax seed, wheat bran, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a blender of food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and baking soda. Blend well.
- Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix until well blended.
- Stir in raisins.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
I made them low-sugar but substituting Baking Splenda for the brown sugar. Also, I couldn't find Wheat Bran so I used Wheat Germ and they still turned out fantastic!
I have been making these muffins just as the recipe states for over a year and they are wonderful! Moist, orangey, freeze well if you can save any back! They are always well recieved, even by those not so health-conscious. If you do not have a food processor, use a blender, half the ingredients at a time and it works fine. I was intending to post this, but glad you have done it. Thanks!!
I love these muffins! The recipe should remind bakers to wash & scrub the nasty pesticides off the orange skins (I forgot the first time I made them, as I'm not used to baking with the entire orange).