Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice Sunny Orange tasting cake with a delicious chocolate orange frosting! The recipe is From Aunt Jenny's Favorite Recipes, a Spry shortening recipe brochure (1930s). The Recipe has been changed to substitute Crisco Brand Shortening as Spry brand shortening is no longer made.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco (solid vegetable shortening)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, unbeaten
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 medium orange juice, of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Crisco (solid vegetable shortening)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons scalded cream (approximately)
- To make Cake: Combine shortening, salt and grated orange rind.
- Add sugar gradually and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add baking powder to flour and sift 3 times.
- combine orange juice and lemon juice and add water to make 1 cup.
- Add small amounts of flour to creamed mixture, alternately with combined fruit juices and water, mixing after each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into two deep 9-inch layer pans greased and floured.
- Bake in moderately hot oven (375°F) 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spread Bonbon Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- To make Bonbon Frosting:
- Let orange rind stand in orange juice 10 minutes, then strain.
- Cream shortening, butter and salt together.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate and blend.
- Add remaining sugar, alternately with orange juice, beating until smooth.
- Add hot cream and beat well.
- Add just enough cream to make a nice spreading consistency.
- Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 9-inch layers.