Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is from Womans world from last year. I am always looking for a grab while you go snack. This is very nice and it has only 3 g fat. Time does not include the cooling time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 Line a jellyroll pan with foil; coat with cooking spray.
- Combine flour , sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives cut in butter and 1 tsp of the zest until well combined.
- Stir in buttermilk and egg white until a soft dough forms.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- With Moist hands transfer dough to a floured surface and shape into a 8 in round.
- Cut into wedges and place 2 inches apart on pan.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool Completely.
- In a small bowl combine the confectioners sugar with 1/2 tsp zest and 1- 2 tbsp water stir until smooth .
- Drizzle over scones.
These were made as per ingredient list without the added glaze. The dough was very wet and I found it easier to pat the dough into a circle, score it and bake them in the oven. After the specified time the scones were cut apart and baked a few more minutes in the oven. All in all a good recipe. Made for *ZWT6*
These were really good, and met with unanimous approval with the family. I didn't have a problem with the dough being too wet, but I will say that I subbed yogurt for the buttermilk and that might have helped thicken it up. I also subbed in some spelt and oat flour to add fiber and was pleasantly surprised that these stayed light and fluffy. My only complaint is that the amount of orange zest in the recipe does not match the amount in the directions, which led to some confusion for me. I had dumped in all of the zest before I realized it was supposed to be divided, too, which is my own fault. Didn't hurt the recipe, though! Made for ZWT 8, for the Wild Bunch.