Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I love the scent of orange flower water, so I was excited to find this recipe in "Frozen Desserts" by Caroline Liddell. This sorbet is very sweet! Cooking time includes refrigeration and ice cream maker times.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water
- 1 lemon, juice of, strained (I used half a lemon and half a lime)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
For simple syrup (use 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup very hot water
- To make the simple syrup, dissolve the sugar in the hot water. Refrigerate until cool.
- To make the sorbet, combine the simple syrup, water, orange flower water, and citrus juice in a large bowl.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- When ready to freeze the sorbet, pour the mixture into your ice cream machine.
- After 5 minutes, pour in the lightly beaten egg white.
- Continue running the ice cream maker until the sorbet is at the desired consistency (it takes 25 minutes in mine).
- To store, scrape the sorbet into a freezer container, press a piece of waxed paper onto the top of the sorbet, and cover with a lid.
- Before serving stored sorbet, allow to soften in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
This is a lovely, delicate sorbet. I did omit the egg, and reduced the sugar a bit. It is perfect for a summern nigt. Also I had it one night in a glass, with a shot of vodka poured over it....very nice!
I will be making this later today (hopefully!) and will let you know how it turnss out! So excited to find your recipe.